Sunday, March 14, 2010

1971 Garrard Zero 100 Restoration



About a month ago I purchased a 1971 Garrard Zero 100 turntable from a chap in Bloomington (where the Indiana University campus is located) . It was listed on Craigslist without a specified price, so I emailed said chap and drove down from Indianapolis to pick it up. We originally had agreed on $20 but when I arrived he seemed determined to haggle me down to $10, and I was more than happy to oblige him. After rummaging through my car I managed to rustle up approximately $9.35, which he accepted and then ushered me out of his front porch with a very crusty, dirty old turntable. A month and $80 in parts later (not to mention several hours of labour) I now have a fully functional, state of the art British turntable from the early 70's. The Zero 100 is most notable for having a parallel tracking tonearm, which in theory should eliminate any tracking errors as the headshell is always tangential to the sound groove. Garrard did not invent this system but they were the first and only manufacturer to mass produce these turntable systems. Here is an early example of a parallel tracking tonearm.

This is a video of my new Zero 100 that I uploaded to YouTube today. The record being played in the video is Empyrean Isles by Herbie Hancock on Blue Note records.

No comments:

Post a Comment